Mapping Documents from Server to Windows 7

Recently I began taking on the task of moving the file share and user folders from one drive to another. The share wasn’t so much of a problem because I use DFS, so I just pointed the DFS back to the new share folder.  All is good.  I figured that I would give this a shot with my user folders and map them using Group Policy.  Not so good.

It started with not being able to redirect to a server share without having the share indexed.  I then found out that I can’t index a DFS folder.  Which made that solution impossible.  I’m come to terms now that I can’t redirect documents via DFS.  So, I started out on the journey of mapping them through Group Policy, which I’ve done before.  Once I had that set up everything was working great.  Wrong.

Being as caring as I am I noticed that C:\Users\Public was also mapped in Documents along with the server version.  I don’t want users saving to that folder so I had to come up with a solution to remove that folder.  Surprising to me, Group Policy does not have that option, so off to Google I went.  I found a few ‘make your own policies’ options through hacking the registry, which I was fine with, until I read the disclaimer that it cannot be undone simply by removing the policy, so that was off the table.

Then I ran across a comment about using PowerShell and since I love PowerShell and automation I figured this would be a reasonable solution.  I found this site that I have used before to solve my problem.  After downloading the ‘Windows 7 Library’ I extracted the folder and signed the .psm1 script that was in there (see older posts).  Once I did that I created a startup script that consists of:

PS >Import-Module C:\Users\test\Desktop\Wnidows7Library\Windows7Library.psm1

PS>Remove-LibraryFolder -LibraryPath (Get-KnownFolder “DocumentsLibrary”).path -FolderPath “C:\users\public\documents”

Once I ran that command at start-up the C:\Users\Public folder was gone.  So, next I deployed the script through Group Policy and all has been good since.

vCenter Deployment

Recently I deployed the vCenter Server Appliance and really liked it.  The one problem that I had with it was that I was unable to install Update Manager locally on my vCenter server.  So, I decided I might as well use my Windows Server 2008 R2 VM that was running Update Manager as my vCenter server. None of this was a problem, but I caution you to not rename the server once vCenter is install.  The steps I took were:

1. Installed vCenter on existing Update Manager server.

2. Renamed vCenter Appliance.

3. Renamed the UpdateManager to vCenter and changed the IP.

4. Troubleshooted problems…

Once I changed the name 6/17 services started having errors.  Some ranged from Storage Service not starting to the licensing not working and as far as getting an error email every 5 minutes.  Once I started troubleshooting the problems I found that there was problems getting connected to SQL Express 2008 that was installed, that I couldn’t get my graphs because the URL was still pointing back to the old server name. But, I never really figured out the Licensing error.

My solution: I rebuilt the whole vCenter server.  I started with installing vCenter, then the web client, then Update Manager.  I’m happy to say that everything is working flawlessly now.  This solution ended up working very well for me because I have a rather small virtual environment (hopefully changing) and nothing really ‘mission critical’ running.